KBA (Washburn) Information for SM West Marching Band
Tomorow is the Kansas Bandmasters Assocation Competition! Some key information from Mr. Thomas:
We meet at West at 11AM. Eat before you arrive
West plays at 2:45 PM for the preliminary round. Click to see the full schedule including all bands in this PDF.
Dinner is at the bus parking lot at 5:15 PM. Finals are immediately following dinner.
Return to West by Midnight.
We need roadies to load, unload and move the pit to the stadium! Please come out and help out.
We need food servers to feed the band and parents. Please come out and help out. You can sign up in Charms for both positions to make us rest easier, or just show up and help! (Visit the link, log in to the Student / Parent area, choose Volunteer, choose KBA from the dropdown.
The Parking Map:
The red circle is where our busses will be. The blue circles *may* be open for parking. Most of the big lots will have busses and trailers parked in them. Carpooling is a good idea.
Or, click for a PDF Copy of the Parking Map at Washburn
Also, if you don't want a paper copy of the program you can scan this QR code with your phone and download the program directly to your phone!
Tickets are $10 each for adults and $5 each for 6-10 year olds with 5 and under admitted free. All roadies, chaperones etc will have to pay for their own admittance. Sorry - no passes.
BandAides Meeting Minutes
BAW General Meeting Minutes
October 2, 2018
7:02 Call to order: Frank Biondo, Co-President
Board members present: F. Biondo, C. Biondo, Loya, Berns, Silverstein, Thomas, Hupe. Parkhurst is absent.
- Approve minutes from September meeting—approved.
- Shout out of Thanks!
- Roadies, chaperones, caterers and all others who helped with football games
- Band parents at banner building Saturday, Sept. 8: Frank Biondo, Dan Perlinger, Emily Berns, Layne Aingell
- Band parents at jail bar building Monday, Sept. 24: Lowell Teague, Dan Perlinger, Brendan Perlinger, Brian Parkhurst, Aleta Schnitzer, Jeff Deardorff
- Chaperones & others at OP Parade Saturday, Sept. 29
- All who helped with the SM Marching Festival last night. The band looked good!
- Treasurer’s report: Renee—we have $11,515 in the bank. Still have checks to put in. The car wash brought in $8000+, Mattress sale and concessions revenues not in yet.
- Committees still needing organizers
- Silent Auction Section Basket Chair: Jennifer Deardorff & Julie Eisentrager
- Spaghetti Dinner Game Chair: Gina Taylor
- Spaghetti Dinner Decorating Chair: Janie Bush
- Check Committee list on back table for all available opportunities!
- Committee reports
- Snacks for road trips—Denise Perkins (not present): you can still bring snacks for the kids’ bus rides. Anything left over will be served at KBA on 10/20
- Silent Auction—Stacy McCullom—letters were sent to area businesses. Phone follow-ups will happen this week. We have donations coming in. We can always arrange for auction items to be picked up by band parents or students.
- Dine to Donate—Angela Masters-Quick: several fundraising opportunities are coming up! 10/25 Panera Bread, 11/27 Chipotle at 95th & Monrovia—must get $300 in sales before we get any back, then 30% with printed or phone flyer; Panda Express 12/20, we can schedule DtD every 30 days; working on Chik Fil-A—no flyer needed, and waiting to hear back from Fazoli’s
- Red Wheel—Kim Mann (not present): sale start date has been changed to 10/29, with orders due by 11/11, due to Red Wheel by 11/15, orders delivered to West in person on 11/28
- Spaghetti Dinner—Dawn Schnake
- Senior Representative—Belinda Hyland: senior night program is great! And before deadline!
- Upcoming events:
- 10/3 District Honor Band Auditions due
- 10/6 KSU Marching Festival—still need food servers! (Schedule on reverse side of this page) trailer needed to haul school Gator—Schnakes might have one
- 10/11 Football game—Flashlight Show & Senior Night: purchase lots of glow sticks—students use flashlights (use 2D batteries) taped to their ankles and glow stuff all over their bodies for fun show after the game! Use clear packing tape to affix glow sticks and flashlights—uniforms not worn tonight. Wear jeans and show t-shirt.
- 10/20 KBA Marching Festival Washburn U.—need food servers & roadies! We also invite families to join band for cookout dinner. Info on RSVP’ing for $5 meal to come later.
- 10/22 Red Wheel Fundraiser begins
- 10/24-31 Concert Band Auditions
- 10/27 Spaghetti Dinner & Auction
Director’s Report—Mr. Bill Thomas
New corporate sponsors! Lowe’s donated all the pipe and glue for our ‘prison bars’. We’re up to $9000 in corporate sponsorships this year, the most ever!
Need parents to help stabilize the banners/sails during performances. In case of rain Saturday, the festival will be moved to the indoor practice facility. There is no spectator seating in that area. Schedule for the day might be changed to simply performance and awards. We would not take the backdrops. We would not have our clinic or see other bands perform. Keep checking emails Friday night and Saturday morning for any changes to the schedule.
KState vs. KBA Festival judging: KSU is a ratings-only festival, judged against a set of standards. We will receive judging sheets on our performance. KBA is a true competition—one band will go home with first place! KBA will have 25 bands this year, the third year of the competition. Performance is broken down into several areas, each area receives points. Awards are given in groups according to band size (not school size). The top 12 bands will perform again in finals. It costs $10 per person, including parent volunteers, to get into either KSU or KBA festivals.
KBA schedule has been received—our preliminary competition is at 2:45 pm. Complete schedule will be sent out later.
Thank you to Angela Masters-Quick and Will England for photos and keeping our social media pages fresh!
Thanks to all who help out. No job is too small. All is appreciated.
We will sell our SMWest soft warm blankets at the Oct. 11 football game. We now have the ability to take credit and debit cards. Blankets are $45 each.
Shout-out to our band kids who work hard and know how to pick up after themselves! It was obvious at the SM Marching Band Festival last night. We had the cleanest area of all the bands after we left.
Mr. Hupe—Jazz band notes—the Spaghetti Dinner is our first performance of the year. The OE shirts are in, cost $15 per student. OE will play at McAuliffe Elementary for Red Ribbon Week 10/26 during the school day. Christine Perlinger can give a ride to McAuliffe to any student who needs one.
Adjournment 7:56 pm—meet people!
OVERLAND EXPRESS NEW ORLEANS TRIP MEETING IMMEDIATELY AFTER BAW MEETING!!!
7AM Practice Continues!
7AM Practice will continue until after the KBA Competition in Washburn! We look forward to seeing all of your smiling faces Friday Morning!
BandAides Meeting Minutes
September 4, 2018
7:05 pm Call to order: Cassee Biondo led the meeting. Board members present: Biondo, C., Biondo, F., Loya, Berns, Silverstein. Absent was Parkhurst, and Thomas & Hupe were at marching practice.
- Approve minutes from August meeting—approved!
- Shout out of Thanks!
- Roadies, chaperones, caterers and all others who helped with first football game
- Marching band pictures Aug. 22 7:00 am—Amy Jo Compton coordinated breakfast
- Band photo helpers
- Treasurer’s report: Renee Loya—We have $11,2965 in the band with one check outstanding. After the check clears, we’ll have $10,845 in the account. Car wash pledges are not counted yet.
- Committee reports—still need committee chairpersons!
- Silent Auction—Stacy McCullom—Cassee said that helpers needed to canvass businesses for donations
- Freshman Liason—Brian Parkhurst—Cassee reminded new parents that any questions can be directed to Brian Parkhurst.
- Other sign ups—
- Concessions Sept. 28! Times still available!
- Chaperones needed for SM Marching Festival Oct. 1
- Committee positions needed
- Dine to Donate: Angela Masters-Quick has signed up to chair.
- Spaghetti Dinner: coming up October 27. Chairperson is in charge of the kitchen and purchases the food for the dinner. Past chairperson Emily Berns can assist and answer questions.
- Red Wheel fundraiser: someone has signed up for this fundraiser? Begins October 22.
- Senior representative: getting ready for Senior Night—purchases flowers for each student, works on senior program, makes sure everyone’s lined up alphabetically on Senior Night. Should not be a senior parent. Belinda Hyland has agreed to this position. This year we have 19 or 20 seniors.
- Upcoming events:
- Mattress Sale Sept. 8 10:00-5:00
- Banner assembly—parents needed Sept. 8 10:00 am in the band room to build the frames for the banners. Bring socket sets.
- Home Football vs. Olathe North Sept. 14 Call time 4:00 with 8th graders!
- Homecoming Parade Sept. 28 1:30 Band marches to downtown bandstand and plays during pep rally
- Homecoming game Sept. 28 Call time 4:00—band performs after the game
- Shawnee Mission Marching Festival Oct. 1 Call time 5:00—need bus chaperones!
- OP Parade Sept. 29 Call time 9:00 am—need bus chaperones and water walkers to march with the band.
- Oct. 11 Football game—Senior Night!
- Spaghetti Dinner & Silent Auction Oct. 27: market to young kids for Halloween?
Neila Forssberg has a special thank you to Jennifer Silverstein, who knows everything!
The color guard uniforms will be black and white prison uniforms—the guard is nervous but excited about the show!
Adjournment 7:26 pm—meet people, sign up!
Freshmen Performed at Kansas Bandmasters Honor Band
Here are the three kids that performed in the Kansas Bandmasters Middle Level Honor Band in Wichita on July 20. They rehearsed for 6 hours and performed a concert late in the afternoon. They are from L-R: Tyler Van Deventer, Bari Sax; Victoria Major, Flute; and Hannah Caudillo, Trumpet.
The 2018 Shawnee Mission West Marching Band at K-State!
Selected members of the Shawnee Mission West Marching Band were invited to learn from and play with the K-State Marching Band on the game, Saturday September 1, 2018! They got to learn from the head director of the K-State Marching Band, join K-State and South Dakota on the field for a performance - learned just that day! Fantastic job band members!
Be sure to check out all the photos Mr. Thomas shot at the Shawnee Mission West Marching Band SmugMug Site!
The 2018 Shawnee Mission West Marching Band
Image courtesy Intouch Photographic, All Rights Reserved.
Band Aides West Meeting Minutes
August 14, 2018
7:00 Call to order: Frank & Cassee Biondo, Co-Presidents. Board members present: Frank Biondo, Cassee Biondo, Brian Parkhurst, Emily Berns, Bill Thomas, Kevin Hupe. Renee Loya and Jennifer Silverstein were absent.
Welcome! Introduce Executive Board
- Approve minutes from May meeting: approved!
- Shout out of Thanks!
- Louie Louie Band—Emily Berns & Ed Hoyt
- Band Camp snacks volunteers—Christine & Dan Perlinger
- Uniform fitters—chairperson Neila Forssberg
- Ice Cream Social—chairperson Gina Taylor
- Treasurer’s report: Emily Berns
- New budget: moved and seconded to approve the budget for the year.
- Statement report—how much in the bank? We have $9171.79
- Committee reports—still need committee chairpersons! List committees still needing chairs.
- Uniforms—Neila Forssberg: need helpers to hem a few more uniforms. Please check the uniforms out with Neila.
- Silent Auction—Stacy McCullom: canvassers needed to contact local businesses for silent auction donations or corporate sponsorships
- Freshman Liason—Brian Parkhurst: anyone new to band feel free to contact him with any questions
- Other sign ups—Concessions Sept. 28!
- Marching band pictures Aug. 22 7:00 am—Amy Jo Compton is coordinating the breakfast
- Marching band season volunteers needed-
- Roadies: load and unload the trucks for each marching event
- Chaperones: ride the busses with the students
- Tailgating/Food: coordinated by Denise Perkins. Please contact her or drum major Betsy Armstrong if your student has food allergies
- Upcoming events: a. MEGA Car Wash Aug 18
- Mattress Sale Sept. 8
- Silent Auction—Stacy McCollum—donations and canvassing volunteers
- Spiritwear—Angela Masters-Quick: tshirt artwork has been given to Mr. Thomas.
Director’s Report—Mr. Bill Thomas
This year the show will have the biggest percussion pit in 8 years—we will need two trucks to haul the extra equipment and the new Alcatraz backdrops. We need people to drive the trucks! Lee Schnitzer, Russ Bettendorf and Dan Perlinger please discuss who’s taking lead on truck loading and driving this year.
Band packers—every student should have received a band packet. Please read the information, sign and return what is needed, include payment, and return in the envelope asap to Mr. Thomas! The band fees help pay for staff such as the section instructors at band camp, and group lessons during concert season.
Speaking of lessons, it’s the best way to help your student improve their playing. It’s not necessary for a successful band year, but it helps a lot.
CHARMS: if you need help signing up, please contact Mr. Thomas
Volunteers: use your professional and/or personal talents to help the band! We need organizers, cooks, sewers, accountants, photographers, etc. etc. Let us know what you can do!
BAW’s vision for the band program is to support the students and directors of the SMWest band.
MEGA Car Wash! Coming up this Saturday—students, get pledges per car—see the funds add up! Anyone who pledges or makes a donation should get a blue ticket to go to the car wash. If the band makes $15,000, Mr. Thomas will dye his hair pink for a day! We need parent supervisors at each location.
October is our Spaghetti Dinner and Silent Auction. Volunteers are needed to canvass local businesses for auction donations and corporate sponsorships. If you own a business, consider donating to the silent auction.
Mattress Sale: Andrew: Sept. 8 is the date! 10:00-5:00 in the school cafeteria. Parents don’t need to do anything except spread the word and encourage people who need a mattress to come to the sale. There will be 30 different styles of beds on display, and all sizes are available. Brand new mattresses with full warranties. NEW this year—massage chairs! Text sleepy Viking to 797979 to receive information.
- Changes to calendar
- Car Wash Aug. 18—THIS SATURDAY!
- Sept. 14 early dismissal grades K-8, high schools in session
- Homecoming Parade Friday, Sept. 28. FB game that evening
- Overland Park Parade Saturday, Sept. 29. Homecoming dance that evening.
Adjournment—meet people, sign up! 8:05 pm
Chaperones Need MVP Training
From Mr. Thomas:
Parents - New this year is that our chaperones are supposed to be MVP approved by the district. That involves a short training and finger prints. I knew this was coming, but just saw that they have added a date of August 21 (Tuesday) at 6:30 p.m. to do a training session. If you think you will be serving as a chaperone on any of our band events this year, please sign up and take this course. If not this one, look on the website for another one that might fit your schedule.
Here is the link to sign up.
Sorry for the late notice, but this date was not available last week when I looked.
2018 Back To Band Information
From Bill Thomas:
Tuesday, 14-August is the first day of the 2018-19 school year. Marching Band, our rehearsal will begin at 7:40a. Go see your friends! The band room will be open by around 7:15 if you want to drop your instruments off first thing.
If you have forms packets to return (Marching Band and Color Guard) be sure to bring them tomorrow with your money.
The Mega Car Wash is NEXT Saturday from 9a-4p. We expect EVERYONE to be present to help. You'll get your assigned locations tomorrow in class. Remember, it's the PLEDGES that raise the BIG money. If you raise $15,000, I will dye my hair pink for a day! It hasn't happened yet....will you be the class to make history? If so, I can almost promise it will be in the yearbook for all of history!
Band~Aides Meeting Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. Parents and students alike - we get $5 for every person in attendance- We want and NEED every parent to join us. The big topics are the Mattress fundraiser, Spaghetti Dinner and Auction, Mega Car Wash and general topics of support for our band program. We can't provide the necessary services for your students without your help! This is for ALL Band and Color Guard Parents and Students. Please join us for this first meeting of the year.
Section Leaders - please reach out to your sections so they know about Monday's rehearsal time.
Monday Night(August 13) Drumline rehearsal from 6p-9p in the band room.
Tuesday Night- NO Brass, Woodwind or Guard Practice so everyone can come to the BAW Meeting at 7p.
2018 West Marching Band Ice Cream Social Photos
The 2018 Shawnee Mission West Marching Band Ice Cream Social was a fantastic demonstration of what our band has learned in the past two weeks at Band Camp! Photos are available for download and sharing! Please give credit as you share and reuse the photos. Thank you all for your donations and coming out to see the band!
Incoming BAW Officers
Congratulations and thank you to the 2018-2019 Band-Aides West officers:
Presidents—Frank & Cassee Biondo
Vice President—Brian Parkhurst
These officers need your support and have the following chair positions open:
Band Banquet Chair
Band Camp Picnic Chair
Band Camp Snacks Chair
Bulletin Board Chair
Car Wash Chair
Database and Charms Chair
Dine to Donate Chair
Flower Sales Chair
You can sign up for a position by going on Charms and looking under the Volunteer Needs tab. Select Committee Chairs from the drop-down menu.
A GIANT THANK YOU TO OUR CORPORATE SPONSORS
Please take note of our sponsors, whose logos are at the top of this home page (and here). The West Pride Bands are grateful to have these establishments support the music and color guard programs.