BandAides Meeting Minutes
September 4, 2018
7:05 pm Call to order: Cassee Biondo led the meeting. Board members present: Biondo, C., Biondo, F., Loya, Berns, Silverstein. Absent was Parkhurst, and Thomas & Hupe were at marching practice.
- Approve minutes from August meeting—approved!
- Shout out of Thanks!
- Roadies, chaperones, caterers and all others who helped with first football game
- Marching band pictures Aug. 22 7:00 am—Amy Jo Compton coordinated breakfast
- Band photo helpers
- Treasurer’s report: Renee Loya—We have $11,2965 in the band with one check outstanding. After the check clears, we’ll have $10,845 in the account. Car wash pledges are not counted yet.
- Committee reports—still need committee chairpersons!
- Silent Auction—Stacy McCullom—Cassee said that helpers needed to canvass businesses for donations
- Freshman Liason—Brian Parkhurst—Cassee reminded new parents that any questions can be directed to Brian Parkhurst.
- Other sign ups—
- Concessions Sept. 28! Times still available!
- Chaperones needed for SM Marching Festival Oct. 1
- Committee positions needed
- Dine to Donate: Angela Masters-Quick has signed up to chair.
- Spaghetti Dinner: coming up October 27. Chairperson is in charge of the kitchen and purchases the food for the dinner. Past chairperson Emily Berns can assist and answer questions.
- Red Wheel fundraiser: someone has signed up for this fundraiser? Begins October 22.
- Senior representative: getting ready for Senior Night—purchases flowers for each student, works on senior program, makes sure everyone’s lined up alphabetically on Senior Night. Should not be a senior parent. Belinda Hyland has agreed to this position. This year we have 19 or 20 seniors.
- Upcoming events:
- Mattress Sale Sept. 8 10:00-5:00
- Banner assembly—parents needed Sept. 8 10:00 am in the band room to build the frames for the banners. Bring socket sets.
- Home Football vs. Olathe North Sept. 14 Call time 4:00 with 8th graders!
- Homecoming Parade Sept. 28 1:30 Band marches to downtown bandstand and plays during pep rally
- Homecoming game Sept. 28 Call time 4:00—band performs after the game
- Shawnee Mission Marching Festival Oct. 1 Call time 5:00—need bus chaperones!
- OP Parade Sept. 29 Call time 9:00 am—need bus chaperones and water walkers to march with the band.
- Oct. 11 Football game—Senior Night!
- Spaghetti Dinner & Silent Auction Oct. 27: market to young kids for Halloween?
Neila Forssberg has a special thank you to Jennifer Silverstein, who knows everything!
The color guard uniforms will be black and white prison uniforms—the guard is nervous but excited about the show!
Adjournment 7:26 pm—meet people, sign up!
Freshmen Performed at Kansas Bandmasters Honor Band
Here are the three kids that performed in the Kansas Bandmasters Middle Level Honor Band in Wichita on July 20. They rehearsed for 6 hours and performed a concert late in the afternoon. They are from L-R: Tyler Van Deventer, Bari Sax; Victoria Major, Flute; and Hannah Caudillo, Trumpet.
The 2018 Shawnee Mission West Marching Band at K-State!
Selected members of the Shawnee Mission West Marching Band were invited to learn from and play with the K-State Marching Band on the game, Saturday September 1, 2018! They got to learn from the head director of the K-State Marching Band, join K-State and South Dakota on the field for a performance - learned just that day! Fantastic job band members!
Be sure to check out all the photos Mr. Thomas shot at the Shawnee Mission West Marching Band SmugMug Site!
The 2018 Shawnee Mission West Marching Band
Image courtesy Intouch Photographic, All Rights Reserved.
Band Aides West Meeting Minutes
August 14, 2018
7:00 Call to order: Frank & Cassee Biondo, Co-Presidents. Board members present: Frank Biondo, Cassee Biondo, Brian Parkhurst, Emily Berns, Bill Thomas, Kevin Hupe. Renee Loya and Jennifer Silverstein were absent.
Welcome! Introduce Executive Board
- Approve minutes from May meeting: approved!
- Shout out of Thanks!
- Louie Louie Band—Emily Berns & Ed Hoyt
- Band Camp snacks volunteers—Christine & Dan Perlinger
- Uniform fitters—chairperson Neila Forssberg
- Ice Cream Social—chairperson Gina Taylor
- Treasurer’s report: Emily Berns
- New budget: moved and seconded to approve the budget for the year.
- Statement report—how much in the bank? We have $9171.79
- Committee reports—still need committee chairpersons! List committees still needing chairs.
- Uniforms—Neila Forssberg: need helpers to hem a few more uniforms. Please check the uniforms out with Neila.
- Silent Auction—Stacy McCullom: canvassers needed to contact local businesses for silent auction donations or corporate sponsorships
- Freshman Liason—Brian Parkhurst: anyone new to band feel free to contact him with any questions
- Other sign ups—Concessions Sept. 28!
- Marching band pictures Aug. 22 7:00 am—Amy Jo Compton is coordinating the breakfast
- Marching band season volunteers needed-
- Roadies: load and unload the trucks for each marching event
- Chaperones: ride the busses with the students
- Tailgating/Food: coordinated by Denise Perkins. Please contact her or drum major Betsy Armstrong if your student has food allergies
- Upcoming events: a. MEGA Car Wash Aug 18
- Mattress Sale Sept. 8
- Silent Auction—Stacy McCollum—donations and canvassing volunteers
- Spiritwear—Angela Masters-Quick: tshirt artwork has been given to Mr. Thomas.
Director’s Report—Mr. Bill Thomas
This year the show will have the biggest percussion pit in 8 years—we will need two trucks to haul the extra equipment and the new Alcatraz backdrops. We need people to drive the trucks! Lee Schnitzer, Russ Bettendorf and Dan Perlinger please discuss who’s taking lead on truck loading and driving this year.
Band packers—every student should have received a band packet. Please read the information, sign and return what is needed, include payment, and return in the envelope asap to Mr. Thomas! The band fees help pay for staff such as the section instructors at band camp, and group lessons during concert season.
Speaking of lessons, it’s the best way to help your student improve their playing. It’s not necessary for a successful band year, but it helps a lot.
CHARMS: if you need help signing up, please contact Mr. Thomas
Volunteers: use your professional and/or personal talents to help the band! We need organizers, cooks, sewers, accountants, photographers, etc. etc. Let us know what you can do!
BAW’s vision for the band program is to support the students and directors of the SMWest band.
MEGA Car Wash! Coming up this Saturday—students, get pledges per car—see the funds add up! Anyone who pledges or makes a donation should get a blue ticket to go to the car wash. If the band makes $15,000, Mr. Thomas will dye his hair pink for a day! We need parent supervisors at each location.
October is our Spaghetti Dinner and Silent Auction. Volunteers are needed to canvass local businesses for auction donations and corporate sponsorships. If you own a business, consider donating to the silent auction.
Mattress Sale: Andrew: Sept. 8 is the date! 10:00-5:00 in the school cafeteria. Parents don’t need to do anything except spread the word and encourage people who need a mattress to come to the sale. There will be 30 different styles of beds on display, and all sizes are available. Brand new mattresses with full warranties. NEW this year—massage chairs! Text sleepy Viking to 797979 to receive information.
- Changes to calendar
- Car Wash Aug. 18—THIS SATURDAY!
- Sept. 14 early dismissal grades K-8, high schools in session
- Homecoming Parade Friday, Sept. 28. FB game that evening
- Overland Park Parade Saturday, Sept. 29. Homecoming dance that evening.
Adjournment—meet people, sign up! 8:05 pm
Chaperones Need MVP Training
From Mr. Thomas:
Parents - New this year is that our chaperones are supposed to be MVP approved by the district. That involves a short training and finger prints. I knew this was coming, but just saw that they have added a date of August 21 (Tuesday) at 6:30 p.m. to do a training session. If you think you will be serving as a chaperone on any of our band events this year, please sign up and take this course. If not this one, look on the website for another one that might fit your schedule.
Here is the link to sign up.
Sorry for the late notice, but this date was not available last week when I looked.
2018 Back To Band Information
From Bill Thomas:
Tuesday, 14-August is the first day of the 2018-19 school year. Marching Band, our rehearsal will begin at 7:40a. Go see your friends! The band room will be open by around 7:15 if you want to drop your instruments off first thing.
If you have forms packets to return (Marching Band and Color Guard) be sure to bring them tomorrow with your money.
The Mega Car Wash is NEXT Saturday from 9a-4p. We expect EVERYONE to be present to help. You'll get your assigned locations tomorrow in class. Remember, it's the PLEDGES that raise the BIG money. If you raise $15,000, I will dye my hair pink for a day! It hasn't happened yet....will you be the class to make history? If so, I can almost promise it will be in the yearbook for all of history!
Band~Aides Meeting Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. Parents and students alike - we get $5 for every person in attendance- We want and NEED every parent to join us. The big topics are the Mattress fundraiser, Spaghetti Dinner and Auction, Mega Car Wash and general topics of support for our band program. We can't provide the necessary services for your students without your help! This is for ALL Band and Color Guard Parents and Students. Please join us for this first meeting of the year.
Section Leaders - please reach out to your sections so they know about Monday's rehearsal time.
Monday Night(August 13) Drumline rehearsal from 6p-9p in the band room.
Tuesday Night- NO Brass, Woodwind or Guard Practice so everyone can come to the BAW Meeting at 7p.
2018 West Marching Band Ice Cream Social Photos
The 2018 Shawnee Mission West Marching Band Ice Cream Social was a fantastic demonstration of what our band has learned in the past two weeks at Band Camp! Photos are available for download and sharing! Please give credit as you share and reuse the photos. Thank you all for your donations and coming out to see the band!
Lenexa July 4 Parade
Wednesday, July 4, is the Lenexa Community Days Parade. For this annual event, members of our marching band form a marching unit called the "Louie Louie" band. A student sign-up sheet will be available in the band room by May 24. If a student needs to use a large school instrument, they need to mark that on the sign-up sheet. If they need help transporting the instrument to the parade, note that on the sheet as well.
Adult help needed! We'll need adults with large vehicles to help transport instruments, T-shirts, a sign and water coolers. A couple of adults walk the route with students and offer water. Contact Emily Berns to help.
Incoming BAW Officers
Congratulations and thank you to the 2018-2019 Band-Aides West officers:
Presidents—Frank & Cassee Biondo
Vice President—Brian Parkhurst
These officers need your support and have the following chair positions open:
Band Banquet Chair
Band Camp Picnic Chair
Band Camp Snacks Chair
Bulletin Board Chair
Car Wash Chair
Database and Charms Chair
Dine to Donate Chair
Flower Sales Chair
You can sign up for a position by going on Charms and looking under the Volunteer Needs tab. Select Committee Chairs from the drop-down menu.
A GIANT THANK YOU TO OUR CORPORATE SPONSORS
Please take note of our sponsors, whose logos are at the top of this home page (and here). The West Pride Bands are grateful to have these establishments support the music and color guard programs.