BandAides West January Meeting
All Band parents, grandparents, and adults interested in the band are welcome to come to next week's Band Aides West Meeting!
We meet Tuesday, Jan 8th at 7:00 PM in the Band Room.
We'll be getting our Spring plans in order! Come find out what's going on - and lend a hand!
Sign up on our Facebook event so we know who's coming!
BandAides West December Meeting Minutes
December 2, 2018
7:07 Call to order: Cassee Biondo, Co-President. Executive board present: C. Biondo, F. Biondo, Parkhurst, Berns, Silverstein, Thomas. Absent were Loya and Hupe.
- Approve minutes from October 30 meeting--done
- Shout out of Thanks!
- Parents and students who helped distribute Red Wheel orders last Wednesday
- Students Luke DeMint & Aiden Parkhurst-Yay!
- All who attended Dine to Donate at Chipotle on 11/27
- Emily Berns for the purchase of the social media banners.
- Treasurer’s report—our end balance for the month is $22,331.25 in the account. We have money to deposit from the silent auction, spaghetti dinner, and blanket sales of about $2487.
- Banners! We have 3 new feather banners to advertise our social media presence. We’ll put them up wherever the band is—concerts, car wash, marching festivals, etc.
- Past events:
- 10/30 Pep Band rehearsals begin Mon & Wed 7:00 a.m.
- 11/14, 16-17 Legally Blonde Musical
- 11/16 Spiritwear online store closed—will reopen next fall for Band Camp—possibility of late spring opening also to grab 8th grade students before they move up to SMWest and their parents.
- 11/19-25 Thanksgiving Break
- 11/27 Dine to Donate Chipotle—very few people attended, we didn’t get any money
- 11/28 Red Wheel delivery
- 11/30 First basketball game for pep band
- 12/1 District Honor Band Concert: three SMWest students played in the group
- Upcoming events:
- Pep Band Season has begun—check emails for game assignments
- 12/13 Winter Band Concert 7:00 Call time on stage for photos WE 6:00, SB & CB 6:15
- 12/18-21 Final Exams
- 12/20 5:00-9:00 p.m. Dine to Donate Panda Express 12210 W. 95th Street, Lenexa
- 12/22-1/6 Winter Break
- Jan. 4—Alumni Pep Band!!! 5:00
- 1/5 State Band Auditions in Salina
- 1/7 Back to School!
- 1/8 Band-Aides meeting
- Need committee chairpersons!
- 2/16 Pancake Breakfast: Thank you Brian Parkhurst!
- Senior Scholarship March-May: Thank you Dawn Schnake!
- Director’s Report
The Wind Ensemble cleaned the band closet—we need to bake something for them to show our thanks. The closet looks great!
The state large group competition has moved to an Olathe school (TBD) on THURSDAY, APRIL 11. Date and location both changed! Chaperones will be needed to ride a bus.
There has been discussion that the band switch to a regular ‘band’ t-shirt and not have a different show shirt each year. The band shirt would be in the school’s colors (we’ve been questioned before from our own and outside folks why our show shirts are often not black nor gold). The band shirt would stay the same each year, which could save on band fees if shirts were worn for more than one year. The band shirt may upgrade in quality to a wicking shirt, which would be more comfortable under the marching uniform. Eli Forssberg—the only student at the meeting—mentioned that many students enjoyed the commemorative aspect of an annual show t-shirt. More discussion will be had on this issue in the future.
The online spirit wear store was open in November but was not publicized and we received no orders for spirit wear. There’s a possibility that the online store will be open again in the spring, to get people a head start on purchasing for next year. We could try to get the 8th graders and their parents also. Mrs. O’Donnell at the middle school could email them with the info about the spiritwear sale. The online store will also be open next summer during band camp time.
Tri-M is a music honor society that is getting started at SMWest. It is for all music students—band, choir, orchestra, etc. Juniors and seniors were invited to submit applications to belong. The deadline for applications has passed.
Frank Tracz, K-State Band Director, has approached Mr. Thomas with the possibility of having the KSU band play with the SMWest Band at one of our halftime shows next fall. Mr. Thomas is checking out the schedule and logistics of the proposal.
London treasurer: in addition to the two parents already on board, Eric Forssberg has indicated an interest in helping out with the accounting for the trip.
The Executive Board is discussing the possibility of changing the silent auction into a craft/direct sales fair. The band would charge an entry fee to people wanting to have a booth at the fair. We would also rent tables and electricity if needed for individual booths. Food would be available for sale also. There are websites available to advertise our event. Discussion is ongoing on this subject.
Freshmen Performed at Kansas Bandmasters Honor Band
Here are the three kids that performed in the Kansas Bandmasters Middle Level Honor Band in Wichita on July 20. They rehearsed for 6 hours and performed a concert late in the afternoon. They are from L-R: Tyler Van Deventer, Bari Sax; Victoria Major, Flute; and Hannah Caudillo, Trumpet.
The 2018 Shawnee Mission West Marching Band at K-State!
Selected members of the Shawnee Mission West Marching Band were invited to learn from and play with the K-State Marching Band on the game, Saturday September 1, 2018! They got to learn from the head director of the K-State Marching Band, join K-State and South Dakota on the field for a performance - learned just that day! Fantastic job band members!
Be sure to check out all the photos Mr. Thomas shot at the Shawnee Mission West Marching Band SmugMug Site!
The 2018 Shawnee Mission West Marching Band
Image courtesy Intouch Photographic, All Rights Reserved.
2018 West Marching Band Ice Cream Social Photos
The 2018 Shawnee Mission West Marching Band Ice Cream Social was a fantastic demonstration of what our band has learned in the past two weeks at Band Camp! Photos are available for download and sharing! Please give credit as you share and reuse the photos. Thank you all for your donations and coming out to see the band!
Incoming BAW Officers
Congratulations and thank you to the 2018-2019 Band-Aides West officers:
Presidents—Frank & Cassee Biondo
Vice President—Brian Parkhurst
These officers need your support and have the following chair positions open:
Band Banquet Chair
Band Camp Picnic Chair
Band Camp Snacks Chair
Bulletin Board Chair
Car Wash Chair
Database and Charms Chair
Dine to Donate Chair
Flower Sales Chair
You can sign up for a position by going on Charms and looking under the Volunteer Needs tab. Select Committee Chairs from the drop-down menu.
A GIANT THANK YOU TO OUR CORPORATE SPONSORS
Please take note of our sponsors, whose logos are at the top of this home page (and here). The West Pride Bands are grateful to have these establishments support the music and color guard programs.