Hello West Band Families! BandAides needs some immediate help this month and there are lots of ways you can help out throughout the year. Band isn’t just about your student playing and marching – it’s the families helping out however they can!
First, log into Charms to update your information and sign up to volunteer. If you need help, send our VP an email or reference the previous one I sent with step-by-step instructions. www.charmsoffice.com
It’s easy to sign up to volunteer – On “Back to School Night” – Aug 10 and at our first Band Aides Meeting – Aug 17, check out the volunteer sign-up table or log into Charms and sign-up to volunteer.
What can you do to help the band and your student? Right out of the gate there are several fun things to do:
- Coordinate breakfast for picture day, Aug 18 – buy food, getting reimbursed.
- Tree Building and Painting – Aug 28 and Sept 4. We’ll need to cut trees out of insulation board on the 28th, and then paint them on Sept 4th. If you have a jig saw and know how to use it, we need you on the 28th. We also need general help that day for tracing trees for the saws to cut and also moving the pieces around. They will be very light weight.
And ongoing, you can help coordinate or work with:
- Tailgating (Meals before games and at competitions) – Make arrangements to purchase Jimmy Johns, Pizza, etc. Get cookies, fruit, etc. All Reimbursable.
- Glow Stick Sales in October – fundraiser leading up to the last game
- Water and Seat Covers at Home Games – fill water coolers, cover the band section seats.
- Senior Recognition (not a parent of a senior) – buy a flower for each senior, collect information for announcer to read at football and basketball Senior Nights.
- Uniform Chairs-in-Training – in preparation for next year.
- Red Wheel Fundraiser
- Band Bulletin Board at the school – would like it switched out every month. This can be done by more than one person.
- “Dine to Donate” events at local restaurants
- Chili Supper in February – kitchen coordinator, event coordinator
- Spring Flower Sale
- May Dessert Banquet
- Scholarship Coordinator – collecting forms mostly
- West Area Outreach – Coordinate a couple students to go to each feeder school’s winter concerts, may do a cookie reception at Westridge Winter concert.
Or, you can help out during Marching Season as a:
- Roadies – These are the fantastic people who load and unload the truck, as well as help push the percussion equipment onto the field. You don’t need to know how to drive a truck and you don’t have to be particularly strong. The heavy items have wheels.
- Chaperones – Ride the bus with the students.
- Uniform Helpers – Hand out/gather the plumes and help students with safety pin needs.
- Food Servers – We serve dinner to the students before the games and at the competitions.
- Concessions – Homecoming is Sept 24 and the band will receive all revenue from the concession stand that night, but it means we need to work the stand. This is where we really need the 9th grade parents to jump in. The band will do their show AFTER the game, so you won’t miss it if you’re working concessions.
- Photographers – If you have advanced-amateur photography skills, we need you.
- We also need some volunteers not associated with events. These are listed on our calendar for Sept 1st in Charms.
Many thanks for helping make the Shawnee Mission West Pride Band as amazing as it is!
— Dawn Schnake, Band Aides VP